I love unique names, and as I went through my books read, I started noticing that a lot of my favorite books have also been the ones with unique character names.
Top 10 Character Names
1. Emerson – Hourglass – Myra McEntire: I love her name, and when they call her Em, because she’s small and fiesty.
2. Blue – The Raven Boys – Maggie Stiefvater: Like her name, Blue is different and unapologetically herself. (And like Maggie says, Blue was Blue before Beyonce’s daughter.)
3. Gansey - The Raven Boys – Maggie Stiefvater: Gansey’s name I love because it’s a last name. Gansey isn’t the tough, brawny type that would go by his last name like a symbol of manhood. I don’t even know why he goes by his last name, except that he does, and to call him Richard would be strange.
4. Trevor – Pivot Point – Kasie West: thank you Kasie West. I will no longer associate the name Trevor with a freedom seeking toad:
5. Ana – Incarnate – Jodi Meadows: I’ve been watching Jodi write this series via Twitter for years. I remember when she changed the main character’s name from Erin to Ana, saying it was a hard change but that it suited the story more. The way she took Ana from “Ciana” was really cool, and contributed to Ana’s character development.
6. Aria – Under the Never Sky – Veronica Rossi: I love Aria’s name. It’s so fluid and the word makes me thought of rich, fall colors and textures. And as we know, Aria loves Perry and look at this pretty fan art of Perry: *drool*
7. Puck – The Scorpio Races – Maggie Stiefvater: the name itself is small, plucky and rough, much like Puck herself.
8. Kvothe – The Name of the Wind – Patrick Rothfuss: maybe it’s just that I love this book, but even seeing the name puts me in the mood to sit by a crackling fire and listen to a master storyteller weave a tale deep into the night while the stars twinkle above. *gets distracted*
9. Yelena – Poison Study – Maria V. Snyder: I love the Spanish sound to this name, and how it rolls off the tongue. Ye-leh-na.
10. Karou – Daughter of Smoke and Bone – Laini Taylor: unique name for a unique girl! There’s nothing about Karou’s characterization that’s quite like anyone else in the Smoke and Bone world, right down to her name.
What are your Top 10 Character Names?